Incorrect meter readings
If you think our estimated meter readings are not incorrect, you can submit your own meter readings or get in touch with us and let us know.
Get in touch
Meter not working
If you think your meter is not working properly, please call us immediately on freephone 0800 953 4555 between Monday to Friday, 8am to 8pm and Saturday, 8am to 5pm.
We can take your final meter reading before you move and we can discuss continuing to supply your gas and electricity at your new address.
How to read your meter
Here are the different types of gas and electricity meters and how to read them.
Gas – Digital meter
This meter reading is 00372. Write down the five numbers shown from left to right. Ignore the number(s) after the decimal point which may be shown in red.
Gas – Imperial meter
This meter reading is 2988. Write down the four numbers shown from left to right. Ignore the number(s) shown in red.
Gas – Dial meter
This meter reading is 6456. Read the four dials from left to right along the bottom row only. Ignore any others and write down the number closest to each pointer. When the pointer is between two numbers, write down the lower number. If the pointer is between 9 and 0 write down 9.
Remember each dial turns in the opposite direction to the one before it, so check which way each turns. You can see which way they turn by looking at the numbers on the dial face. Some rotate clockwise and others counter clockwise
Electricity – Single rate meter
This meter reading is 07220. Write down the five numbers shown from left to right. Ignore the last number(s) which may be shown in red.
Electricity – Two rate meter
This meter reading is 56315, 27457. For top and bottom rows, write down the numbers shown left to right. Ignore the last number(s) which may be shown in red.
Electricity – Two rate single display meter
Some two rate meters only have one digital display and they either flash up the different rate readings in a cycle or you need to press the button to make the display cycle through the readings for each rate.
Electricity – Dial meter
This meter reading is 76416. Read the first five dials from left to right, ignoring the dial marked 1/10. Write down the number that the pointer has just passed – use the lower of the two numbers either side of the pointer.
It’s important to note that the sequence of numbers on each dial can alternate from clockwise to anti-clockwise.
PAYG (not smart) meter readings
If you have a Pay As You Go meter (not smart), we may not need to read it regularly as we receive updated readings when you top up your gas or electricity. But you may need to send us a reading if you are moving home or if there is a problem with your meter.
Key meter – Electric
1. On the front of your meter you’ll see a blue button. Press this button to scroll through the displays, which are identified by a letter or a number. The displays start from A and runs through to the letter T or from the number 1 through to number 9.
2. You might find that, after a few seconds, the display automatically resets itself to display the letter A or the number 1. If this happens, you may need to scroll through a couple of times to get all the information you need. To get a meter reading, you will need to scroll to H or 5.
3. Economy 7 customers will also need to scroll through to the letter J to get the night meter reading. Economy 7 meters show the meter reading of the rate currently in use. The Day (Normal) rate is usually active between 7am and 12am (Midnight). The Night (Low) rate is usually active between 12am (Midnight) and 7am. If you have an Economy 7 meter, times can vary depending on where you live.
Quantum meter – Gas
1. If you have a Quantum meter, a meter reading can be taken by pressing the red display button on the front of the meter.
2. There is a window above the LCD display that shows the meter reading. If your meter has two LCD displays, then the left one will display your meter reading.
Smart meter readings
If you have a smart meter, whether you pay your bill monthly or Pay As You Go, there may be times when we need you to send us a reading. This may be because of a communication issue with your meter or if you are moving home.
1. Go to your gas or electricity meters and locate the keypad.
2. To access your meter reading start by pressing 9 on the keypad.
Taking your electricity reading
After pressing 9 wait two seconds. You will see the letters IMP KWH. Wait two seconds.
After two seconds you will see your meter reading. In the example below, 15.6 kWh has been recorded as a meter reading.
Taking your gas reading
After pressing 9 wait two seconds. You will see the word VOLUME. Wait two seconds.
After two seconds you will see an M3 symbol and then a number like the one below. This number is your gas reading.
SMART METER GUIDE