Safety Checks

Gas safety checks


  • use a gas appliance if you think it’s not working properly
  • cover an appliance or block the convection air vents
  • block or obstruct any fixed ventilation grills, air bricks or outside flues

Warning signs

Your gas appliance may not be working properly if you notice:

  • yellow or orange coloured flames rather than blue flames (except in fuel-effect fires)
  • soot or yellow/brown staining on or around gas appliances
  • pilot lights that frequently blow out
  • increased condensation on the inside of windows

The Health and Safety Executive (HSE) advises all gas consumers to have their gas appliances and fittings checked for safety annually by a Gas Safe registered installer. At Beam Energy, we may be able to offer a gas safety check for you which will be carried out by a fully qualified engineer. This service will be free for customers who own and occupy their home, are in receipt of means tested benefits, have not had a gas safety check in the last 12 months and:

  • live with at least one child who is aged under 5 years, or
  • are over 60 years of age, disabled or chronically sick, and:
    • live alone or
    • live with others, all of whom are over 60, under 18, disabled or have long term health issues

Source: The Health and Safety Executive

If, during a gas safety check, the engineer finds that an appliance is dangerous, it will be condemned and cannot be used until it is repaired or replaced and no longer poses any further danger. If this happens, and you need support or advice, you can call the Gas Safe Register enquiry number on 0800 408 5500 between Monday to Thursday 9am-5.30pm and Friday 9am-5pm.

Alternatively, visit their website at

For more details, please contact us on 0800 953 4555 between Monday and Friday, 8am to 8pm or Saturday, 9am to 5pm.

Carbon monoxide

Help guard against carbon monoxide: ‘the silent killer’

You can’t see it, smell it or taste it, but carbon monoxide gas can kill or seriously injure in just a matter of hours. Carbon monoxide gas can be produced by faulty gas appliances so, to ensure your home is safe, you will need to be aware of the following risks:

  • Your gas appliance has not been properly installed
  • The gas appliance is not working properly or has developed a combustion fault
  • Your gas appliance has not been regularly maintained by a Gas Safe registered engineer

Symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning can often be mistaken for flu or food poisoning and may include all or any of the following:

  • Recurring headaches
  • Nausea, sickness or stomach pains
  • Dizziness
  • Tiredness or drowsiness
  • Chest pains
  • Visual problems

Our advice is to get appliances tested regularly. For protection from carbon monoxide poisoning, make sure that all of your fuel-burning appliances – including stoves, fires, boilers and water heaters – are serviced annually by a qualified and registered engineer. Do use carbon monoxide detectors in your home too.

Symptoms may come and go, for example, improving when you are away from home or the faulty appliance is switched off. If you suffer from any of these symptoms, seek medical advice and ask if carbon monoxide may be the cause.

More information

For further information and advice on the dangers of carbon monoxide poisoning, please visit

Scroll to top of the content