Energy discounts and schemes

Warm Home Discount

The Warm Home Discount is a government scheme that gives extra help to people struggling with their energy bills. Receiving this discount doesn’t affect Cold Weather or Winter Fuel payments.

We offer the Warm Home Discount Scheme for customers in the ‘core group’. This means that people who receive the Guarantee Credit element of Pension Credit, can get £140 as a one-off discount on your electricity between September 2018 and March 2019.

This scheme is only mandatory for energy suppliers to offer once they reach a customer base of 250,000. As it’s our mission to reduce fuel poverty, we have opted into the scheme voluntarily before reaching the 250,000 customer threshold.

You qualify for the discount with Beam Energy if, on 8 July 2018:

  • your electricity supplier was part of the scheme
  • your name (or your partner’s) was on the bill and
  • you were getting the Guarantee Credit element of Pension Credit (even if you get Savings Credit as well).

If all of these apply, you should receive a letter from the Department of Work and Pensions letting you know you qualify by 7 December 2018. If you don’t receive a letter by this date but think you qualify you can contact the Warm Home Discount Scheme helpline on 0800 731 0214, Monday to Friday, 8.30am to 4.30pm.

For more information on this scheme and to see if you’re eligible visit the Gov UK website.

Cold Weather Payments

Cold Weather Payments are made to customers who qualify, when the temperature outside is either recorded as, or forecast to be, an average of zero degrees Celsius or below over seven consecutive days. You’ll get a payment of £25 for each seven-day period of very cold weather between 1 November and 31 March.

To qualify, you must get the State Pension or another social security benefit (but not Housing Benefit, Council Tax Reduction, Child Benefit or Universal Credit). To find out more, or to check your eligibility, visit the government’s Cold Weather Payment information pages.

Winter Fuel Payment

If you were born on or before 5 July 1952, you could get between £100 and £300 tax-free towards your heating bills. Winter Fuel Payments are made automatically between November and December if you get the State Pension or another social security benefit (but not Housing Benefit, Council Tax Reduction, Child Benefit or Universal Credit).

Fuel Direct

If you’re on certain benefits, you can arrange to pay your fuel arrears direct from your benefits if you’re having difficulties. This is called ‘third party deductions’.

Fuel direct is often cheaper and more convenient than having a Pay As You Go meter – and you won’t run out of gas or electricity.

To qualify you must be on one or more of the following benefits:

  • Income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance
  • Income-related Employment and Support Allowance
  • Income Support
  • Pension Credit

Deductions are made each time your benefits are paid. £3.65 will be deducted from each benefit to pay off the debt you owe, plus an extra amount to cover your bills in the future.

This extra amount is decided by Jobcentre Plus or your pension centre, but if it’s going to be more than 25% of your benefits, you’ll be asked to agree to the deduction. If it’s less than 25% of your benefits, the deduction can be made without you agreeing to it. You’ll be told what the deductions are going to be, and if they’re going to change.

Independent energy help and support

The following agencies provide independent help and advice on utilities and saving energy

Tabbed content

Advice UK

Advice UK is an umbrella organisation which lists other community agencies who can offer free and impartial advice

Energy Saving Trust

Energy Saving Trust provides free advice and information to people across the UK looking to save energy, conserve water and reduce waste – including directing people to grants to make change happen, from cavity walls, to loft insulation and installing more renewable energy sources. Call 0800 512 012.

National Energy Action (NEA)

National Energy Action (NEA) develops and promotes energy efficiency services to tackle the heating and insulation problems of low-income households.


OFGEM is the Office of the Gas and Electricity Markets. It is the regulator for Britain’s gas and electricity industries. Its role is to promote choice and value for all customers.


OFWAT is the economic regulator of the water and sewerage sectors in England and Wales. Its role is to promote choice, good quality service and value for all customers.

Scroll to top of the content